Quote of the Week

"Life is meaningless because it is up to us to assign it meaning."
-

Sunday, April 21, 2013

0 Parents

An Open Letter to Parental Units:

Hello. I am sixteen and an only child. These facts are listed here in order to clarify that this if the first and last time my family is having to deal with puberty and teenagedom. So no one has any experience in what's going on in my household right now, nor will anyone ever be able to put this information to use.

I think the biggest thing that parents need to know is that it's not going to be easy, period. Although I've articulated this to my parents before, they seem as if they have yet to get that yes, I understand where they're coming from and yes, ill probably feel the same way when (if) I have kids one day. But no, I'm not going to agree with you now because I'm in the moment and this is not me with my kids. This is me thinking of the current and the present. We're to going to agree and that's that. It's not supposed to be easy so stop punishing me for not making it so.

Also: parenting books are not the end all for advice. What you have to realize is that children doing come in a set amount of favors. There's not only like 10 kinds you might end up with. We are a blend of personalities, morals, and ideals and more. So stop trying to treat me like the cold you've read about in your books. I've read those books too and let me tell you, I'm nothing like Sally NoName so stop trying to be Mrs. Smith. It won't end well for anyone.

Also: your child will not learn just from you. You will not be their only teacher in life. A big part or growing up is learning and discerning truth for yourself and by assuming or manipulating your child into only learning from you, you are actually stunting their mental growth. Stop being surprised when they don't have the same exact morals and beliefs as you. And stop being condescending and believing that they'll come around eventually. When you say things like that, you're only exhibiting the fact that you think that they're being silly or stupid or naive or whatever it is that you think.

Also: your child is not you. Stop expecting them to be.

I could go on but it's getting more rant-y than philosophical and it's a good idea to stop before I fall too far behind.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

GillyLit: The Sequel Copyright © 2011 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates