Quote of the Week

"Life is meaningless because it is up to us to assign it meaning."
-

Thursday, September 27, 2012

0 It's the Issue of Diluted Lemonade...

"But I say: 'Why invite stress in?' Stop studying strife and learn to live 'the unexamined life'."
- "Dancing through Life" from Wicked: The Musical

I won't segue in this time with a long winded introduction, with the history of philosophy and human questions and life styles and quotes and general rambling and the like. Not this time, I just won't do that. For once I'll be getting straight to the point. Which may or may not happen again. I wouldn't count on it.

[/not so hidden introduction and stalling]

I'm not one to say whether or not your life is worth living. I don't think that is my place, or the one of anyone else for that matter. How you want to life your life is your business. If you want to live ignorant, then that is your choice. There are quite a few reasons to live an ignorant life and they are all valid. It is inherently more blissful. For me, it's just that an examined life is one of much better quality that I'd absolutely choose the examined life over bliss.

With a life without questions, the world is stagnant. Questions lead to change, which may be why one would prefer a life without them. I get it: change can be scary. Really scary. Change is this unknowable variable that can be negative or positive. It's incredibly unstable and can be quite unblissful.

Questions can lead to knowledge and as much as we want to, you can't unknow something once you know.   They can lead to terrible, dangerous, powerful things that you have no business knowing and won't even have the option to reverse. Asking questions can be a worse gamble than playing the lottery.

And for some reason, I think that's what makes it all worth it. The fact that you may not like the answer you get makes the knowledge all the more valuable. You're not guaranteed to like all of the answers in life. But  still, I'd like to hear them.

The answers can be terrifying, complicated, and down right scary but the clarity and satisfaction that I receive when a question of mine is answered surpasses that fear. One can get so much more out of life when they squeeze every drop out with a question mark. Questions lead to the aforementioned change and change can be as good as it can be bad. The greater the risk, the greater the reward.

There is nothing wrong with knowing. No one should be judged for being "enlightened". That's not how it works. On the other hand, you should not be judged for not knowing. It doesn't work that way either. It's a slippery slope, either side, and not everyone has the equipment to scale the sides. You cannot penalize a person for that.

It's just up to you if you want watered down lemonade or a pitcher of vodka. I don't imagine either one being very pleasant. But I'll take the pitcher, thank you very much.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

GillyLit: The Sequel Copyright © 2011 - |- Template created by O Pregador - |- Powered by Blogger Templates